The concept of “website” has now become very common and densely entered into our lexicon. This is largely due to the development of the Internet and its active use. We need to go to the World Wide Web, as we immediately find ourselves on these same sites. What is a website or an Internet site?
Definition: The website (site – place, location, position) – is a set of pages, united by one common theme, design, having an interconnected system of links located on the Internet.
Synonyms of the “site” became the concept of both the “Internet site” and the “website”. Most often the Internet site corresponds to one so-called domain name, it is for the domain name that the site can be found on the World Wide Web. Examples of domain names may be mail.ru, pogoda.ru, lenta.ru. It is this name that participates in the so-called “link” to the site.
WHAT DOES THE WEBSITE CONSIST OF?
The site is a structured information unit of the World Wide Web. It can contain both one and a large number of pages. For example, the IBM website contains several thousand pages. Usually on a site allocate such a concept, as the main page. This is the page that appears first on the site.
Each page can include text, pictures, video, or audio clips. You can also see the so-called links to other pages. These are special objects, when you click on which, you will automatically move to another page. Often they are highlighted in a different color, underlined, sometimes as links can act as pictures.
For example, on the main page of the popular site google.com the link is the word “Maps”. After clicking on it you will go to the page with the maps. Usually, the pages are interconnected. And the visitor of the site decides in what order he should view them. Go through all, or go back to the very beginning. On the Internet, pages are viewed through special programs – browsers.
TYPES OF SITES AND LINKS
Each site is created for a specific purpose. First of all, they are needed to convey certain information to the user of the network. The appointment and appearance of the site are striking in its diversity.
According to their informational content, the sites can be divided into:
- Site-card – narrow information about the company
- Corporate site – extended information about the company’s contacts, news, list of services, employees, etc. Often such sites are created for advertising purposes, advertise the goods and services of companies. (For example, the site of the State Bank of India – sbi.co.in)
- Personal site – a site about one person, his hobbies, his personal data, about such a site you can say: “Go to my page”
- Internet shops. This is a special type of site through which you can buy or sell products online, i.e. not moving away from your computer (one of the popular online stores amazon.com).
Widely distributed sites for other purposes – web resources. This includes:
- search engines (google.com, bing.com);
- mail resources (gmail.com);
- bulletin boards;
- storage of video or photo;
Each of these Internet sites is created for a specific purpose. For example, large files are sent through file hosting. One user downloads the information and the other downloads the downloaded link.
Recently, the so-called social networks have become very popular – this is also one of the types of sites. It is a combined web resource. Thousands of people can communicate through these kinds of sites, share pictures, files, and stuff.
On the availability of sites are:
Open – open to all visitors
- Half-open – part of the information is open to everyone, and the part is hidden. To view information on the site you need to register. Registration can be free or paid.
Sites by size and level of tasks they solve are divided into:
- Simple sites containing little information and consisting of several pages
- Thematic, narrowly focused sites provide the user with information on a narrow topic.
- Multifunctional sites (portals) – in addition to the mass of information, they contain tools for communication of users, chat rooms, forums, etc. (gmail.com, Yahoo, Youtube, etc.)
WHAT DOES THE SITE CONSIST OF?
WHAT DOES THE SITE CONSIST OF?
Image already added